You need Flash Player to view this site.  Click here for a fast, free download if you cannot see the animations below.

allsaintsblackheath.org

 

Click on the picture above for a short video introduction to the history of Blackheath.  The video is scripted and presented by Fr Nicholas Cranfield.  It was filmed and edited by Henry DC Williams (www.hdcw.co.uk).

Click on the image on the right for a history of the parish in Wikipedia.

Fr Nicholas Cranfield looks back to the foundations of All Saints'.

The little hamlet on the south side of Blackheath had gradually expanded and by the 18th century thrived. Residents depended wholly on the pastoral ministrations of Greenwich St Alfege, Lee St Margaret, Charlton St Luke and Lewisham St Mary for their spiritual wellbeing. The estate chapels of St Michael’s on the Cator Estate and that of St John’s on Stratheden Road were too small to serve the community and by 1854 local voices demanded a new church.

In 1857 residents gained more than they had hoped, for the church was no longer to be simply a daughter church of Lewisham St Mary but a parish in its own right.

The Earl of Dartmouth, who made the land available, laid the foundation stone on 26 October 1857 and on All Saints’ Day the following year (1 November 1858) the Bishop of London came to consecrate the church.

For 10 years the church lay within the diocese of London until 1867, when the boundaries of the ancient diocese of Rochester were redrawn. As south London expanded in the later Victorian period, it was felt that a new diocese was needed to meet the demands of the population. With the creation of the diocese of Southwark in 1905, from parts of the sees of Rochester, Canterbury, London and Winchester, All Saints was added to the new diocese.

Much of the history is familiar. We learn that spiralling costs more than doubled the original estimates for Benjamin Ferrey’s church; the musical life was high enough that Sir Arthur Sullivan and Gustav Holst brought choirs here and the opera composer Alfred Cellier was organist; an early service (8am Holy Communion) was established in 1883, perpetual reservation of the sacrament in 1928 and requiem masses said.

Before the Second World War vicars had curates and the parish somehow coped during 1939-45 even when one vicar left to be with his family who had been evacuated, one was removed and a third had a nervous breakdown.

Throughout the church, her priests and people have continued to serve the community of Blackheath, standing as a witness to God’s presence and offering a beacon of hope in a busy world.

The hymn writer Athelstan Riley was born in the same year as divine worship was first offered here. He wrote:

O friends, in gladness let us sing,
Supernal anthems echoing,
Alleluya, Alleluya!
To God the Father, God the Son,
And God the Spirit, Three in One,
Alleluya, Alleluya, Alleluya, Alleluya, Alleluya!

Built:
1857-67

Architect: Benjamin Ferrey

Listing:
Grade 2

All Saints was built as the new parish church for the village of Blackheath. It stands on its own on the edge of the Heath and makes no attempt to relate to nearby buildings. It has Kentish rag surfaces and a spire on the south-west corner. Vestries (1890) and porch (1899) were added by A W Blomfield.

Benjamin Ferrey (1810-1880)

Born in Hampshire, Ferrey was a pupil and biographer of Augustus Welby Northmore Pugin. Pugin was Great Britain's foremost architect and designer of the nineteenth century, a man with extraordinary talent, verve and perspicacity. A man who believed in himself, and harboured a passion for Gothic and the Roman Catholic Church.

After a period on the Continent, under William Wilkins, Ferrey set up his own architectural practice in London in 1834. This practice grew to prodigious size, and Ferrey became an important establishment figure, for example being Hon. Secretary of Architects' Committee for the Houses of Parliament. He was Diocesian Architect for Bath and Wells, carrying out much restoration work on the Cathedral at Wells. He also designed and laid out parts of the town of Bournemouth. Ferrey's pupils included his son, Benjamin Ferrey Jr, and the late Victorian architect John Norton.

In London, his work includes several churches, including All Saints Blackheath, and the more centrally located St Stephen's, Rochester Row(1845-7) in Westminster.
He also designed Surrey churches at Shalford 1846, Kingswood 1848 and Esher 1853).

   

Organ

William Hill 1859, rebuilt Percy Daniels 1969:

  • 3 manuals;
  • 43 speaking stops.

On 11th November, 1857, a two-manual-and-pedal orhan was specified for All Saints' by the leading firm of Hill & Son.  With small alterations in January 1959 'Opus 1016' of that firm was ultimately constructed at a cost of £380. 

The same firm enlarged the ogan in 1883; the organist of the Chapel Royal, Mr Jekyll, played at the re-opening. 

The organ was rebuit with tubular pneumatic action in 1915 by Lewis & Co of Brixton, by which time it had acquired a third manual. 

Deterioration of the pneumatic action necessitated first aid work by J W Walker & Sons of Ruislip in 1958.  In 1969, Percy Daniel & Co of Clevedon carried out a complete reconstruction with modern electro-pneumatic action and a movable console, at the same itme making adjustments to make a more transparent and bright effect and to remove the heavy components of the tone. 

One of the early organists was Alfred Cellier, who had been a choirboy at the Chapel Royal with Arthur Sullivan, with whom he was asociated for the rest of his life.  Cellier came to All Saints' in 1860, when he was only sixteen.  He later acted as Director of the Belfast Philharmonic Society and of the Court Theatre in London.  He was at one time organist of St Alban's Holborn.  His opera, Dorothy, which ran for more performances than any of the Savoy operas, is still sometimes heard.  Sullivan is known to have visited All Saints' several times and Gustav Holst came with a choir. 

Back to top
back to topback to topback to top back to topback to topback to top
Back to top Back to top
Back to top